CHICKPEA AND PASTA SOUP
Written by Cosmic Cowgirl on February 2, 2019
Kathie B shares recipes like this instant classic from Melanie Makes on Music Magazine Friday Mornings 9 -11
Chickpea and Pasta Soup
This Chickpea and Pasta Soup is the reason you’ll never buy a can of chickpeas again. The heavy handed shower of Parmesan and chopped fresh parsley that top each bowl really seal the deal on this becoming your new favorite soup.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 2 hrs
- Total Time: 2 hrs 15 mins
- Servings: 12
- Calories: 402kcal
- 3 cups dried chickpeas
- 3 tablespoons baking soda
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 12 garlic cloves
- 6 sprigs rosemary
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 quarts chicken broth
- 2 28-ounce cans crushed tomatoes
- 16 ounces whole wheat pasta shells
- grated Parmesan cheese and fresh chopped parsley to garnish
- In a nine quart or larger stockpot, add chickpeas and cover with water.
- In a small bowl, stir together baking soda, salt and flour with 1/4 cup water to make a paste.
- Drizzle paste into chickpeas and stir to combine.
- Cover chickpeas and allow to soak for 8 hours or overnight.
- Drain chickpeas and rinse well. Return to stockpot.
- Peel and smash garlic cloves with the side of a large knife.
- Add garlic and rosemary sprigs into a piece of cheesecloth and tie closed.
- Add cheesecloth bundle, olive oil and chicken broth to stockpot and cover.
- Place stockpot over high heat and bring to a boil. Once you hear that liquid is boiling, reduce heat to lowest setting and allow to cook for two hours.
- Uncover stockpot and remove cheesecloth bundle and discard.
- Add crushed tomatoes to stockpot and stir to combine.
- Bring chickpea mixture to a boil and add pasta. Cook until just al dente.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve soup topped with grated Parmesan cheese, freshly ground pepper and chopped fresh parsley, if desired.
Adapted from Nigella Lawson.
Calories: 402kcal | Carbohydrates: 62g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 3735mg | Potassium: 783mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 0.8% | Vitamin C: 30.3% | Calcium: 9.3% | Iron: 29.4%