This is Hawaii County Civil Defense with a Tropical Storm update for Thursday, August 1, at 6 in the evening. As of 5:00 pm Thursday the center of Tropical Storm Erick was approximately 285 miles S of Hilo at latitude 15.9 N and longitude 154.5 W, moving in a WNW direction at a speed of about 13 miles per hour. Strongest sustained winds are estimated at 70 miles per hour with gusts near 90 miles per hour. Be aware that tropical storms are erratic and can change speed, direction and intensity quickly. Due to the position, strength, and movement of Tropical Storm Erick the following advisories have been issued by the Central Pacific Hurricane Center (CPHC):
1. High Surf Warning for East facing shores of Hawaii Island.
2. Wind Advisory for Hawaii Island.
3. Flash Flood Watch for Hawaii Island.
The Following public safety measures and recommendations are now in effect:
1. Public Works has sand available at their baseyards. Please bring sandbags and shovel with you. If your property is flooding call 935-0031 for assistance.
2. Isaac Hale, Punaluu, and Whittington beach parks are closed. Camping permits for these parks are cancelled for this weekend. South Point road is restricted to local traffic only. The Bayfront parking lot on Kamehameha Ave. is closed. Hele-on pick-up is at the Afook-Chinen Civic Auditorium. Please park between the Butler buildings behind the auditorium.
3. Expect heavy rain and possible flooding with 5 to 8 inches of accumulation over the next few days.
Thank you for listening. Stay tuned to your radio for updates.
This is your Hawaii County Civil Defense Agency.