This is an important message from Hawaii County Civil Defense:
This is a Civil Defense message for Sunday, November 17 at 8:30 in the morning.
The National Weather Service has issued a High Surf Advisory for West facing shores of Hawaii Island from Kawaihae in South Kohala through Kona to South Point in Kau through this evening.
A High Surf Advisory means surf will be higher than normal, shore break, and dangerous currents could cause injury or death.
Due to the High Surf Advisory, the following are issued;
· Expect strong breaking waves, shore break, and rip currents making swimming difficult and dangerous.
· Beach-goers, swimmers, and surfers should heed all advice given by ocean safety officials and exercise caution.
The National Weather Service has also issued a Flash Flood Watch for the County of Hawaii. A Flash Flood Watch means that conditions are favorable for flash flooding.
Due to the Flash Flood Watch, the following are issued:
· All Residents in flood prone areas are asked to remain alert for flooding conditions.
· Be aware that road closures may occur without notice.
· Do not attempt to cross flowing water; turn around don’t drown.
· Be on the alert for malfunctioning traffic signals. Please treat flashing traffic lights as a four-way stop.
· Remember, if lightning threatens your area, the safest place to be is indoors.Thank you for your attention.
This is your Hawaii County Civil Defense Agency.For the Alerts Page: Click Here