Thursday at noon
A message from COUNTY OF HAWAII
This is Hawaii County Civil Defense with a hurricane update for Thursday, August 1, at noon. As of 11:00 am Thursday the center of Hurricane Erick was approximately 285 miles SSE of Hilo at latitude 16.0 N and longitude 153.2 W, moving in a WNW direction at a speed of about 14 miles per hour. Strongest sustained winds are estimated at 80 miles per hour with gusts near 100 miles per hour. Be aware that hurricanes are erratic and can change speed, direction and intensity quickly. Due to the position, strength, and movement of Hurricane Erick the following advisories have been issued by the Central Pacific Hurricane Center (CPHC):
1. High Surf Warning for East facing shores of Hawaii Island.
2. High Wind Advisory for Hawaii Island.
3. Flash Flood Watch for Hawaii Island.
The Following public safety measures and recommendations are now in effect:
1. Take down all canopies and tarps and secure any loose items on your property. Boat and aircraft owners should secure their vessel by 5:00 pm today. Public Works has sand available at their baseyards. Please bring sandbags and shovel with you. If your property is flooding call 935-0031 for assistance.
2. Isaac Hale, Punaluu, and Whittington beach parks are closed. Camping permits for these parks are cancelled for this weekend. South Point road is restricted to local traffic only. The Bayfront parking lot on Kamehameha Ave. is closed. Hele-on pick-up is at the Afook-Chinen Civic Auditorium. Please park between the Butler buildings behind the auditorium.
3. Expect heavy rain and possible flooding with 5 to 8 inches of accumulation over the next few days.
Thank you for listening. Stay tuned to your radio for updates.
This is your Hawaii County Civil Defense Agency.
This e-mail has been sent to you by the COUNTY OF HAWAII. To maximize their communication with you, you may be receiving this e-mail in addition to a phone call with the same message. If you no longer wish to receive email notifications from COUNTY OF HAWAII, please click here to unsubscribe.